What is the Sundance Film Festival? It’s an annual 10-day event held in Park City, Utah. Its main purpose is to highlight independent movies, also known as Indie Films, from the US and overseas. So, where did it get its unique name? It was named for one of the most famous characters played by renowned actor, Robert Redford. This infamous character of the former resident of Utah is famously known as “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.”
Redford is not the founder of the Sundance Film Festival. However, he served as its inaugural chairman. He also played a vital part in helping to build the reputation and notoriety of what was once a small, yet growing film festival. By 1985, the festival had grown substantially. It was partnered up with the Sundance Institute, ran by Robert Redford himself. That’s when it began to flourish and prosper as the world-renowned film festival that it is today.
2015 Sundance Film Festival 101
At the 2015 Sundance Film Festival, the 10-day even is broken down to make up two parts:
- Days 1-5
- Days 6-10
Every film featured at the festival is shown at least one time during each of these two periods. If you’re interested in the great networking and socializing benefits, note that the busiest times are generally the first five days. However, if you or someone you know will be receiving an award, then you’ll definitely need to attend the last five days as well.
Scheduled Events Worth Noting
The 2015 Sundance Film Festival will run from January 22 to February 1. These 10 festive days include film openings, celebrations and other special events throughout its home in Park City. Final program announcements take place in December 2014. But, these are some of the generally scheduled events that deserve to be noted:
- Opening Weekend Film Screenings–When the festival kicks off on January 22, 2015, film screenings will begin I both full-length and short film categories.
- Fundraising Event – Last year, “An Artist at the Table” ended up being an intimate evening of dinner and cocktails. This was enjoyed while watching artists from the Sundance Institute perform live. Just like always, there will be festival-featured actors, artists and filmmakers at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival fundraising event.
- Closing Day –The 2015 festival in Park City will wrap us with its annual Awards Ceremony and Reception. It’s is located at the wonderful Basin Recreation Center Fieldhouse in Park City, Utah. Multiple awards are presented in both documentary and dramatic film categories. There are also Audience Awards, which are chosen by attendees at the festival, which are awarded at that time.
- Awards After-Party–This is a celebration of the featured work throughout the entire festival. Attendees of the awards after-party include filmmakers, actors, guests and patrons. It’s also held in Park City at the local Basin Recreation Center Fieldhouse.
- Screening for Utah Locals –Last year, the Best of Fest Screenings were held on the first Monday following the end of the festival. This year is expected to be the same. Only local Utah residents are allowed, and proof of Utah residency is required. The Sundance Film Festival Best of Fest Screenings are free for Utah attendees.
Lodging for the 2015 Sundance Film Festival
One of the biggest challenges for those attending the film festival is lodging. Booking your lodging in advance is very important in a city as small as Park City. You’ll find hotels at The Canyons and the Park City Mountain Resorts bases and near Main Street.For snowboarders and skiers, there are mountainside condos and homes in Park City that may be available.