A vital element in preparing your home to go on the market is to take time to declutter and simplify your home’s decor. Brad Jensen from Jensen and Company has had decades of experience helping people sell their homes in Park City. When working with any new listing, we offer the following bits of advice for decluttering:
Remove Personal Effects From Your Decor Before Listing
A key step in preparing your home for listing is to remove personalized touches from the home (staging it for potential buyers). While a personalized house is great to show guests your style, a blank slate makes it easier for potential buyers to envision themselves living in the space. Pull out a box and start putting away items like:
- Family photos
- Vinyl wall decals
- items of the refrigerator
Start The Packing Process Early By Renting A Storage Unit
Another effective decluttering trick is to start the moving process early. Start by packing up personal effects and unnecessary furniture. This will help to open up your living spaces and present a more spacious home. Once these items are out of the way, see what else you can go without while your home is listed:
- Clean up overstuffed bookshelves by packing away some of the items to display a better-organized shelving unit.
- Remove items from clothing closets to show off a more spacious walk-in.
- Pack away towels and linens in your linen closets that you won’t be needing for a while.
- Clean out the kitchen pantry.
- Re organize the refrigerator contents.
- Pack away kitchen appliances you don’t use frequently.
- Store excessive kitchen accessories like tupperwear, dishes, utensils, cups, and mugs.
Try The KonMari Method As You Declutter Your Home
A relatively new and popular way to declutter your home is by using the KonMari Method. Pioneered by Marie Kondo, this method of decluttering your belongings encourages you to keep only the things that “spark joy” in your life. While you’re decluttering your home to sell it, maybe you could declutter your life to improve it at the same time.
If the KonMari Method isn’t for you, there are other decluttering steps you can take.
- Change any newspaper or magazine subscription to paperless to avoid excess paper clutter. You can also apply this to bills and statements, making it all accessible online.
- Take 10-minute intervals and clean out areas which may not often be examined, like the linen closet and bathroom cabinets.
- Donate gently-used clothes you no longer wear.
You can entrust the sale of your home to Jensen and Company. Brad Jensen has worked in Park City for almost 30 years, successfully helping people sell and buy the homes they’ve always wanted.
To consult with Jensen and Company or if you have any questions, please contact us.